While passing a hallway to the left, Clerie and I heard some folks talking, and a man laughing.
I knew that laugh. I racked my brain, and remembered; a rolling monkey toy from Christmas 2010. It has a sequence of laughs. That man's was the first of the sequence.
The laugh can be found here. If you'd listened to it two hundred times over the Christmas season, it'd be seared in your memory, too.
"Did that laugh seem familiar to you?", I asked.
"Yes! But I can't place it!" Clerie said.
"The Monkey."
"That's it!"
---
In 2010, Clerie and I spent hours cutting out numbered circles for a knock-off board game we made our family members for Christmas. This year, I was cutting out circles for some Valentines, I found it particularly aggravating, as though I had cut out the board game circles just the day before.
"Wow, this brings back some memories," I said.
"What do you mean?"
"Think about it."
"No, really, what?"
"Here. Just cut for a sec."
Clerie took the paper and scissors, and proceeded to...
"Oh," she said, scissors half an inch from the paper. "Catan!"
---
In church last Sunday, Lucy pulled Addi's hair. Addi was patient. I told her thanks for being so sweet to her sister.
She tried to burn holes through Lucy's head. Meanwhile, Clerie and I tried to sing the sacrament hymn.
As if busting up during one hymn is bad enough, here's what we tried to sing for the closing hymn, as four children (ours and a friend's) crawled, squirmed, snorted, and pinched all around us on the bench:
"In our lovely Deseret,
Where the Saints of God have met,
There’s a multitude of children all around..."
That's when we started (quietly) laughing ourselves to tears. We started to put ourselves back together, until the third verse:
"They should always be polite,
And treat ev’rybody right,
And in ev’ry place be affable and kind."
...What does that mean for ours?
---
And tonight, I asked Clerie, "Which one of your army buddies was it I bumped into at a school last year?"
"Um, I think it was Taylor."
"Yeah...I think that's it. With short hair?"
Thursday, February 23, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment