Sunday, February 22, 2009

Half Way

So it wasn't long ago that I said we were 1/3rd through the deployment. Well, this last week, I did some numbers and, counting all the training she's been to since May, and scratching all the time she's been or will be home, we are half way through as of...yesterday.
So that feels good. It's nice to know that all this time apart actually stacks up against this whole separation bit. It's as though being half way means all the times you feel blue, feel like you're about to choke up for no reason, or just feel like the colors around you are muted, count for something.
It helps you feel like you're on a nice, downhill slope.
One thing I've learned is to have confidence in my own abilities, while appreciating the things that Clerie can do better. I'm getting by, but boy there's a lot that falls through the cracks. I just have to say "oh well" and get on with things. My ducks aren't in the neatest of rows, but I think they're swimming in the right direction. And there's always something to remind me of how much better things go with Clerie here. It's amazing what she can do. I think she must be God's secret weapon.
I've learned to appreciate family. I used to have this attitude like "Well sure, I love family, but I need to worry about me and my own. I don't owe them. *Knock Knock!* Now, when Jonathan surprises me with new things he's learned, or says thank you so well, I'm relieved that he's watched by a grandma who loves him. I can go to Tremonton or to St. George, and I can take a nap or play for a while, and Jonathan will be happy. I can come home in the evenings, and Jonathan will play with the girls from upstairs instead of hanging on my pant legs all night. Everyone is so helpful, and I am still sane.
And neighbors. I have a group of friends that I know that I can call for help at the drop of a hat. Jonathan knows what toys they have, and he loves to play with the different children in the neighborhood.
I'm hopelessly in debt to everybody. I'll probably never repay any of you, but I'll try to be a more grateful and gracious person, and hopefully I can be there for someone else.
Thanks for everybody's help and friendship. You've really helped carry us through deployment, and you've helped us learn so much from it!

1 comment:

FizixMamma said...

Half way and then some by now. Way to go! Sounds like you're keeping busy, that's good. Is your spring break soon? If you come up to Tremonton for any of it stop by and play Settlers with us or talk Nerd with John, he likes talking Nerd with you.